Sunday, September 30, 2007

Memories

I can remember that I was first introduced to Father Ted when I was ten. I had just been enrolled in his karate class and was rather nervous. Even at my age I could sense his commanding presence. The way he spoke and how he lead by example always intrigued me. Despite my mistakes he always pressed me to work harder and to strive for my goals. Even if he could be a little frightening during the class, his soft and humorous personality would shine when it was over. He said to use the concepts I had learned in his class and apply them to life. He especially emphasized our school’s goals of character to grow into a person of good morals and to never use his teachings to hurt others. I think that’s what kept me going.
Father Ted was not only a teacher, but also a mentor and advisor. When I had first entered college, which was a Baptist university, some were afraid that I would drift to become Baptist. To reassure them I would not I went to seek advice from Father Ted who took time from his busy schedule to see me. Surprisingly he laughed at the matter. I can still remember what he said, “Chris, you should be fine. I feel you are pretty solid in your faith and don’t think you will become Baptist, but if you still want me to talk to them, I’ll tell them.” I was so relieved and happy that he believed in me.
Father Ted encouraged us to strive for our goals and pursue our dreams. Even though we stumble and say we can’t do it, he would always comment, “There is no such thing as I can’t.”
His kind and loving personality had touched so many and we will always carry memories of him in our hearts. It is these qualities that make Father Ted so special to us.

2 comments:

Walker Valco said...

Those karate classes meant a lot to me too

Walker Valco said...

Those classes meant a lot to me too