Thursday, September 27, 2007

Old MacDonald Had a Farm . . .

Most of my memories of Uncle Teddy are funny ones. He had a very irreverent sense of humor. With his way of poking fun at anything and anyone, he taught me not to take myself too seriously.

Uncle Teddy was an extremely generous person. If you really liked or admired something belonging to him, he usually wound up giving it to you.

Uncle Teddy had a great singing voice and although the world may regret this act of generosity, he gave me his karaoke machine when he saw how much I enjoyed it. (Yes, Marita I will admit I like karaoke, but woe to my listeners.)

When my in-laws heard that Uncle Teddy had died, they recalled: "He sang very well." At my wedding reception he wowed the Czech crowd with his rocking rendition of "Old MacDonald had a farm, EE Aye EE Aye OOO." It was the only English song that the Czech Polka band could play.

When he officiated at my wedding, he made fun of me during the homily (The couple will need God's help during the hard times, such as when George discovers that Geraldine can't cook.") However, he also said something during his homily that I think about sometimes when I am feeling down. He looked directly at my husband George and told him: "Remember that you're getting a treasure. Geraldine is a treasure and we're giving her to you." It was a real confidence booster to hear him say that, because Uncle Teddy didn't dish out the praise lightly.

Despite the fact that Uncle Teddy would joke around with me almost mercilessly: in his serious moments, he let me know how much he cared.

What do I remember when I remember Uncle Teddy? I remember most of all his sense of humor and his generosity. He will be sorely missed.

No comments: